Richard Keaney first started making films while studying at University College Dublin from 2010-2013 where he made a number of student shorts. Soon after graduating, he founded Fight Back Films with fellow classmate and director, Natasha Waugh (IFTA nominee- ‘Terminal‘, 2016) and has gone on to direct multiple award winning short films including ‘Scope’ and ‘Late Arrivals’ ,the latter being selected to screen on Aer Lingus long haul flights in 2017.
[Writer | Director | Editor]
(2020- Currently on Festival Circuit)
When his son is turned away from his favourite band’s gig for being underage, a father is committed to getting him in one way or another.
Starring: Frank Prendergast (Young Offenders, Love & Friendship), Liam Gaffney (Thursday’s Child) and Brendan Flynn (Like Father Like Son)
- Kerry International Film Festival, 2020
- Dublin International Short Film and Music Festival, 2020
- Richard Harris International Film Festival, 2021
- Chicago Irish Film Festival, USA, 2021
- Fastnet Film Festival, Schull, Cork, 2021
- Inter Film Festival, Kyiv, Ukraine, 2021 (Quarter-Finalist)
When a young man drops out of college to care for his shut-in mother he too finds himself increasingly insulated from the outside world, a factor which conflicts with his growing forays into amateur astronomy.
Starring – Fiach Kunz (Black 47) and Andrea Kelly (Pure Mule).
Director of Photography/ Producer– David Christopher Lynch.
- Chicago Irish Film Festival, Chicago IL, USA – March 2018. [World Premiere]
- Fastnet Film Festival, Cork, Ireland , 2018
- Scottish Mental Health Arts Festival, Glasgow, Scotland, May 2018.
- Leiden International Short Film Experience, Netherlands, May 2018.
- Still Voices Film Festival, Longford, Ireland, June 2018.
- Bolton Film Festival, England, UK, 2018. [Winner- Best Performance]
- Underground Cinema Awards, Dublin, Ireland, 2018. [Winner- Best Actress]
- Independent Talents International Film Festival, IN, USA, 2018 [Semi-Finalist]
- Filmstrip International Film Festival, Romania, 2019.[Nominee-Best Director/ Actor]
- Toronto Irish Film Festival, Toronto, Canada 2019.
- YoFi Microfest- Irish Cinema Showcase, Yonkers New York, USA, 2019.
- Lighthouse Cinema Shorts Showcase, Dublin. February 2018.
An Iranian Father and Son arrive at their new home in Dublin, Ireland. However, they are unable to confront the reason for their move and the effect of which threatens to drive them apart.
Starring – Tim Dillard (Quirke) and Soroush Salimi (Inertia).
Director of Photography – David Christopher Lynch.
11 International festivals including:
- IndieCork, Cork, Ireland, 2015.
- Chicago Irish Film Festival, Chicago IL, 2016.
- Chennai International Short Film Festival, India, 2015.
- Silk Road Film Festival, Dublin, Ireland, 2016
- Fastnet Short Film Festival, Cork, Ireland, 2016.
- Limerick Short Film Festival, Ireland, 2016. [Nominated – Best Director & Winner-Best Lighting.]
- Inflight Entertainment, Aer Lingus long-haul flights (October- November, 2016).
When Ryan’s girlfriend is brutally murdered he begins to psychologically unravel, falling into a dangerous criminal underworld where memories are skewed and he must ultimately question his own humanity.
Starring – Stephen Gorman (Lift), Patrick Austin (Unearthed), Leonard Tone ( Product of a Nation) & Danielle Keaney (Devil’s Woods)
Director of Photography– Stuart Duff
Additional Camera – Miguel Angel Vinas
- Dublin International Short Film & Music Festival, Dublin, Ireland, 2014.
- Videodrunk Film Festival, Toronto, Canada, 2014.
[Producer | Assistant Director]
Written & Directed by David Devoy
Starring – Carolyn Bracken (A Date for Mad Mary) & Fiach Kunz (Black 47)
Director of Photography – Sonya Deegan
OFFICIAL SELECTION / AWARDS
- The Ambassador Reel Film Festival. Cork, Ireland, 2017.
- Elevation Indie Film Awards. Dublin, Ireland 2017. [Winner– The Pinnacle Award]
- Los Angeles Cinefest [Semi-Finalist]
‘FOOD FIGHT’ (2013)
<p><a href=”https://vimeo.com/204239783″>Food Fight-HD</a>
Written & Directed by Natasha Waugh
Starring – Miriam Devitt (Soulsmith) & Stephen Gorman (Lift)
Director of Photography – Sonya Deegan
- 68th Cannes Short Film Corner, Cannes, France, 2015.
OTHER RECENT PRODUCTION ROLES
Richard also worked as a Trainee Assistant Director on feature film, Soulsmith written & directed by Kevin Henry. The film was officially selected by Cork Film Festival, 2016, and won best world feature at Austin Revolution Film Festival. Soulsmith has also recently screened as part of the Irish Focus programme at the IFI (Irish Film Institute) in December, 2017 and is now available to buy or rent online. http://www.soulsmithfilm.ie/shop